1915 - It Started with Science
Wisconsin Public Radio started as an experiment in Science Hall and Sterling Hall before moving to Radio Hall. UW-Madison Physics Professor Earle M. Terry borrowed Edward Bennett’s license for radio experimentation, 9XM, in 1915 and became a pioneer in early wireless technology. The license was officially transferred to the university later that year.
Terry was largely responsible for building the early equipment for WPR’s flagship station, WHA-AM, and played a leading role until his death in 1929.
UW-Madison Archives Images: S00027